31 January 2012

safehouse fire

A building in my hometown caught on fire last night. It was a local hangout called Safehouse Coffee and Tea, and while I didn't personally have any ties to it I had a lot of friends who did. I haven't lived in Griffin for a little over 3 years, so I never spent much time there. I know that the owners, volunteers and friends that hung out there were like a family. Safehouse was home for many of them. Home is where the heart is. I can't imagine losing my home - all of my belongings and the walls of my emotional memories to a fire. While my heart and home is now in Florida, the house I grew up in on Maddox Road will always be home to me. I have more memories and emotional ties to that house than anywhere I've ever been. I haven't lived there in 5 years, and if that little pink house were to burn down I would be so sad. My heart aches for my friends who have lost their second home. They all seem to be very positive about the future, and I am thankful they have found some peace. For anyone reading this that is not from Griffin and already aware of the donation site for the rebuilding of Safehouse, here is the link:

Support for Safehouse

I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.
Maya Angelou 

Any donation will help!

xoxo,
Cadence

No comments:

Post a Comment