17 December 2013

Traditions

One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is hearing about, and living out traditions. We've had so many traditions new and old throughout my life, and I've loved all of them. I am so sad that some of them have ended, like Christmas Eve morning breakfast with some of our favorite family friends that we left behind in GA. We will always think of them and wish we could hug their necks every Christmas Eve morning. We also did a Christmas with my "Aunt" Wanda's family for many years and made memories I will never forget. And then the memories of Christmas caroling with family and friends - so. much. fun.

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!"- Buddy the Elf

Another favorite memory of tradition was one of my mother in laws. After Thanksgiving every year she would light huge beautiful wreaths that hung on her house. The "wreath lighting" was a time when all of the people that meant the most to her came over for food, drinks and holiday cheer. She once told me she loved it more than Christmas itself. Unfortunately, I only made it to two of these special lightings, but if we have a big enough house one day I would love to carry on her tradition!

Now that we have kids we are wanting to start our own traditions. It is hard, because we have to give up old traditions to do so. Last year was the first year we did not spend the night with my Memommy on Christmas Eve and wake up there to find Santa's gifts. As sad I was to miss that, we had a wonderful Christmas morning waking up at home. I suspect over the next few years we will take on more traditions as the girls start understanding things better. My friend, Katie, told me about a fun tradition her mom started with her on St. Nick Day! I believe it is a German Holiday, but I could be wrong. Kids hang their stocking or put a boot outside their door, and if they've been good St. Nick fills it with candy and goodies. It's just a fun way to get your kids in the spirit, and remind them that they better be good, for goodness sake!

We've started the Elf on the Shelf tradition with our two elves, Elfis & Rudy, and it has been so much fun this year! My sister and I have talked about making cookies for Santa, and a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Eve this year! No matter what we do I know it will be special because we will all be together (we are so excited Gi got out of her trip)!!

I have been reading about traditions on blogs this year and searching Pinterest for fun traditions! I love to hear about traditions that are dear to people's hearts!

Can it be Christmas already?!?!



xoxo,
Cadence


1 comment:

  1. sweet! christmas is the best. i love all the traditions, too. i remember how i COULD NOT WAIT for christmas eve at my mimi and papa's every year... it really was magical going over there and having to wait through dinner to open gifts, then getting alll the dolls and toys i'd wanted. and then every christmas morning we would have breakfast with them at our house. then onto columbus where i got even more doll stuff. those were the days! it's exciting to have new family, and new traditions, but there really is nothing like the ones that you have when you are little.

    ReplyDelete