13 November 2013

Birthday post/Letter to Stella

One year ago from this very hour, I was sitting in our hospital room in awe of the sweetness of our new baby girl. We were facing a lot of hard decisions and sadness with Adam's mom being very sick. It was hard to celebrate such a happy time with what we knew was coming in the next few days. Adam was there for both Stella and I in what had to be one of the hardest times of his life. He spent those 3 days in the hospital with us, and the morning after we returned home, he left to be with his mom. Stella's first few weeks here were very sad/hard, but she brought us light that only an innocent little baby can bring. I like to think of her as our little angel that helped us through a tough time. A year later, she is still that same light and that same joy.



Dear Stella,

Happy birthday, sweet girl! These past 365 days have truly been my favorite. You have completed our family, and I am overjoyed that I get to watch you and Amelia begin an everlasting friendship. I want to list a few of my favorite things about you, and I am only limiting myself to naming a few because I could go on and on.

Your determination.
The way you lay your head on my shoulder when you are being shy.
The way you follow Amelia and Poppy around the house squealing with excitement to fit in with the big girls.
When you get your passy and blankie and fall into my arms like its the only place you can find comfort.
Your teeth that are growing in at hilariously different times.
Your sassy little attitude. {Amelia will say "well hello there, Miss Priss."}
The way you jump up and run towards the door when you know it's your dad's keys unlocking the door.

Last night I laid in my bed almost in tears over the fact that my last baby was turning ONE in less than 12 hours! It was a hard pill to swallow. Luckily, you've reminded me that this is my favorite age, and I am going to soak up every minute of it. I am excited to watch you grow in this second year of life. I am excited to teach you and be your safe place as you explore a little more in this big world. 

Jack Johnson said it best in his song "My Little Girl" -

"You've gone and stole my heart and made it your own
You stole my heart and made it your own"

I love you more than I could ever put into words.

Love,
Your Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment